For 175 years, Ellison United Methodist Church near Vaughan has been shaping the lives and spirits of the local community and beyond.
On Sunday, April 30, Ellison UMC will commemorate this anniversary with a Homecoming celebration.
The church’s history goes back to 1842 when the first service was held in a log building on land donated by Moses and Mary Ellison. At one time, the church was named New Hope but was changed to Ellison in the 1920s. The church welcomed the merger of Union and Vaughan Methodist churches with Ellison in 1961 and 1963.
The history of Ellison’s physical expansion has a number of interesting details.
A white frame building, which comprises most of today’s sanctuary, replaced the log cabin in the late 1850s. It originally had two front doors – one for men and one for women.
In 1921, the insurance bill was $11.50 per year for the parsonage, which was valued at $1,000. Built by the men of the church, a new parsonage was completed in April, 1961, at the cost of $5,000.
When air-conditioning the church was discussed in 1967, it was decided to save the funeral home fans in case members had to resume using them if utility bills soared too high.
Today, with an increasing interest in mission activities both locally and world-wide, Ellison U.M.C. seeks to honor God by involving as many people as possible in the life of this church where most of its families have worshiped for generations. Those who have known the spirit of serenity and security which is Ellison U.M.C. can feel no other way than that they have been truly and specially blessed by God.
Registration on Homecoming Day will begin at 10 a.m. and continue until the worship service at 11 a.m. led by District Superintendent Dr. Stephen Cook.
Dinner will follow at 12:30 p.m. with fellowship continuing through the afternoon.
In this peaceful setting since its establishment, Ellison U.M.C. members hope to welcome many former members and friends as they bring a favorite “covered dish,”,join in worship and share memories celebrating the life of this beloved church.