Yazoo County Tax Assessor Denise Robertson reminds residents that the deadline to file for Homestead Exemption is April 1.
New homeowners will need to bring their Social Security numbers, the purchase price of their home without any finance charges included, their tag numbers on all vehicles owned, birth dates for filer and spouse or joint owner, and proof of age if over age 65 or 100 percent disabled.
require you to re-file
If you are currently receiving Homestead Exemption and any of the following changes occurred during 2020, you will need to re-file for 2021:
1. Change in the ownership or occupancy of the home or added a new spouse.
2. Purchase of additional property that may be eligible.
3. Divorced or a spoused died.
4. Either owner had a 65th birthday in 2020.
5. Either owner became 100 percent disabled in 2020.
If you became 100 percent disabled in 2020, you will need to bring proof of the disability which states that you are totally or 100 percent unemployable disabled and the date of the onset. If your letter from Social Security does not state that information, you will need to bring a doctor’s letter along with the Social Security letter.
6. If you are a 100 percent service-connected disabled veteran, you will need to bring the VA Administration car tag letter.
If you have any questions contact the Tax Assessor’s office Monday–Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 662-746-2642.