Special to The Editor
The Yazoo BASSMasters held a tournament recently at Ross Barnett Reservoir. The conditions were tough, with post-cold front, bluebird skies greeting the anglers as we launched at Tommy's Trading Post. Here are the Top 5 from that event:
1. Matt Smith - 5 bass. Total weight: 11lbs. 7oz. Big bass was 4lbs. 4oz, which was the Tournament Big Bass.
2. Dewey Hood - 5 bass. Total weight: 8lbs. 11oz. Big bass weighed 3lbs. 4oz.
3. Jason Griffin - 4 bass Total weight: 4lbs. 7oz. Big bass was 1lb. 8oz.
4. Rick Morgan - 1 bass. Total weight: 2lbs. 13oz.
5. Dave Jones - 1 bass. Total weight: 2lbs. 11oz.
The top lures were crankbaits, topwater frogs, soft plastic lizard, & jerkbaits. Jason Griffin was quoted as saying he had "about 2 ounces of SuspenStrips on his Rapala jerkbait". SuspenStrips are adhesive strips of metal that are applied to floating lures to make them suspend.
The Yazoo BASSMasters will meet Friday, April 20, 2012 at 7p.m. at Stubb’s Restaurant. The May tournament specifics will be set at this meeting. The club fishes 8 tournaments/year, with the best 6 tournaments counting towards End of the Year awards. Membership dues are $15/year. Tournament entry fees are $10/event, with an optional one dollar each for the yearly & tournament Big Bass pots. There will be a $10 “fruit jar” side pot to each tournament, with the top angler in the fruit jar winning the pot money. Entry into the tournament’s “fruit jar” pot is strictly the discretion of the angler. Meetings are held on the 3rd Friday of each month, with the awards banquet held in December. For more information, contact club president Dewey Hood at 571-7513 or Will Edgar at 571-7589.